SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rudder lost at sea and rescue
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Rudder lost at sea and rescue

When you leave shore you accept all risk associated with the venture not just those of a voyage that goes well.

Not a lot of shipping does not mean no shipping and the opposite of the vast majority is not zero sailboats. They made the decision to abandon within hours of the incident. It takes time to think about the situation and try various jury rigs. I also noted on the blog that they only considered going back and not carrying on, even though the winds and currents would suggest that going downwind would be much easier, even if further.

I seem to remember that there was another sailboat 2 1/2 days to windward that offered help. I can understand these people being totally fed up with their rudder problems and the criminally negligent work that had been done, but they owed the boat more. Just my opinion, but I think you would find that most experienced offshore cruisers would agree.