SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Fallard- beautiful vessel. You're obviously right. My memories of events 25+ years ago are faulty. Boy getting to apologize alot to you today.Didn't some of Hoods play the same trick. Using both the canoe body and centerboard in harmony to achieve weatherliness and with slack bilges a very pleasant motion.
One of the candidates when I was searching for a boat in the '95 timeframe was the Bristol 35.5, a Ted Hood Design. I had actually sailed one during a 5 day 'guys' cruise in the Great Lakes. The 35.5 is heavier than my Clearwater by over a ton, but has sail area proportional to displacement and has almost the same beam. However, it has a fairly effective, shallow, modified full keel and can be sailed without the centerboard down, except for beating, if you want to be lazy. It's a solid boat, but the pennant system for the CB is "interesting"--not nearly as straightforward as you'd like. The shallow keel requires twice as much water as my Clearwater and, consequently, the 35.5 would not do well to stay at my shallow water dock (~4' draft and 2.5' at MLW).

The one feature feature that does stand out is how tender the 35.5 is compared to my Clearwater. My boat obviously has more form stability and may have been fairly well-designed to achieve a weight discipline in that regard. As the admiral says, heeling over much more than 15 degrees isn't making us go any faster. I recollect that the 35.5 would be at 20 degrees before reaching that point, which makes it harder to move our senior bones around.

That said, if my Clearwater (the last 35 built) hadn't become available I might be sailing a Bristol something or other designed by Hood.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook