SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rudder lost at sea and rescue
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: Rudder lost at sea and rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
It just seems that more tenacity was in order before abandoning the boat but it's easy to armchair quarterback without really knowing all the details of their decision.
Totally agree, I don't know if I would be able to fix a problem like that at sea, and who knows what the situation was. Maybe they tried everything, there could have been a lot of things going wrong at once for all we know. With the boat moving seasickness makes it hard to fix anything too.

I have always been concerned about losing the rudder and have tried a few suggestions such as adjusting sail trim that I found here. I have no idea if I would be able to sail long distance without a rudder, but I hope that I could.

Here is a thread on this subject I started when I first joined Sailnet.

Making Passage w/o a Rudder

I'm sure it won't surprise anyone here to see who responded to that thread ... hellosailor, T34C, PBzeer, Faster, camaraderie, Giu, sway, Robert Gainer (Tartan34C), sailingdog, Zanshin, Boasun, and others.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook