SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips on Watch Standing
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Re: Tips on Watch Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
Very nice write up. I like to stay busy on watch; it just helps keep me alert. A few minor things you may possibly want to consider...

I'd like to see a few more checks regarding sail trim. It's easy to neglect checking for proper sheet trim, traveler position, backstay tension, halyard tension, vang, cunningham, leach lines. (Perhaps modify - If the wheel is over 90 degrees or more can you drop the traveler or do you need to reef?)!
Good points on sail trim...I'll add them. We aren't a race boat and so I am not a fanatic about sail trim....but, I do like to keep the boat going.

Quote:
Do you monitor the VHF? If so check for proper adjustments periodically. Unless there is an electrical storm near by you should hear nothing out there. If you do hear someone, you know you have traffic nearby!!
VHF 16 is always on....and sometimes at night it can get spooky. Two sea stories involving traffic you really don't want to know about and some that you shouldn't be able to hear. 1/. Middle of the night....100 miles off the Columbia/Venezuela coast bound for Panama ...loud and clear over the VHF in a Spanish accent comes, "I know you're there! I know you're there!" ---- What do you say to that? Another time 1800 or so nm at sea on passage from Costa Rica to Hawaii, again middle of the night and loud and clear over Ch 16 comes, "Vessel in distress off the breakwater, this is US Coast Guard, San Diego Sector", and it went on... but only one side of the conversation.

Quote:
Are there any minor repair jobs that can be done while on watch? Whipping line ends, etc.!
Yes, but that's normally handled during the day. When I wrote this I was thinking more of the night watches when there is really no one else around.

Quote:
Occasionally ask your what you might do in an emergency. This could be anything from a squall line to a man overboard. You don't have to drive yourself nuts with these but it's worth some forethought. If you have SOPs for these, do remember what they are?!
I do have these for MoB, Fire, and Flooding...and I'm going to update them. I'll post them when they're done.

Today I worked on several diagrams which I will use in these sections. They are attached below.

Quote:
PCarlson wrote:
Perhaps a check list of items that are covered to be used once the rutin is established to be gone over at change of watch. I like check lists, helps avoid missing things.
I have a checklist for "Predeparture" which I can post if anyone's interested. It's long and I don't want to get too far OT here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thru Hulls.jpg (50.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Safety and Survival.jpg (49.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Fire.jpg (46.7 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by billyruffn; 03-02-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook