SailNet Community - View Single Post - Left handed or right handed max prop
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Left handed or right handed max prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I've taken my max prop apart so many times over the years that I should be able to tell you which way the blades turn. So it you can't determine the rotation of your shaft then look at the prop when completely feathered. The blades should have the curved part aft. Now turn the prop clockwise....I know that the blades rotate such that the curved parts are now forward.....and I have a right hand prop. I really can't remember how the blades rotate when I rotate counterclock wise but I would think those curve sections would be aft......Someone can correct me on this, but I'll be at the boat in the next 2 weeks and can give a definate answer if needed.
That's the beauty of the Max Prop.. the blades rotate fully around in reverse so that the blades still work in the 'designed' forward direction. Prop blades have a foil-shaped cross section.. with a fixed prop in reverse, everything's working 'backwards' (inefficiently) when you're backing up.

When you turn the PROP CW and the prop goes into reverse orientation (curve forward), it means when the SHAFT goes CW the prop blades go into fwd position = RH rotation.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook