SailNet Community - View Single Post - recommendations for halyard attachment??
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
recommendations for halyard attachment??

I will be fitting new halyards to the W27 soon. Still not sure of mfgr or final size/type; but it's the attachment that wonders me.

Originals were 7/16 (?) double-braid, eye-spliced directly to the thimbled wire eye. I most certainly could go w/smaller dia. line, given newer loading specs on modern cordage.. would I want to?
Now, I can visualize sitting on the deck, splicing a line on; but why not use some sort of mechanical device; ie: snap hook, link or clip?

I *could* buy new halyards with a shackle already spliced on them; or conversely, do it myself in the comfort of my armchair or cabin. Would it be bad form to attach to the existing eye with a HB shackle?

Removeability option is open, due to the belief that I *may* wish to change out lines for some sort of utility use/reason.
Please recall that this is a limited budget production While I may eye the Dyneema. Vectran and T-900 lines; I doubt I really have need of that sort of load capability.VPC (?) would even be pushing it. seeing all the specs and sales on E-Bay causes page error flippin back and forth thru tabs! ta see what's what in comparison. As thrifty as I am; I'd sooner pay a bit more to go up-scale a degree than find out the "BrandX type I got quite up to my needed specs.

TIA,
Paul

Last edited by deltaten; 03-03-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook