SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013

Steve Pike is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard

Hi
We just moved aboard Jan. 8th 2013 we had no plans no experience and my wife is scared of the water. Well she doesn't know how to swim, that's why shes scared. We
lived in an RV until a week before Christmas 2012. Our RV burned to the ground. While I was looking for a new RV on RVtrader she said why don't we turn this bad into something good and go for my dream. Who am I to argue with the wife, so I turned my search to Google. (Boat auctions) up came Chesapeake bay Maritime museum, I looked down their list of boats for sale and saw a 31' Columbia, 68 model, loved the looks of her, sexy lines. I started to research them, found out they are pretty darn good boats. This one had a new 3 cyl. diesel, new wiring, new plumbing, and was very clean. Told the man I wanted her and left Pensacola Fl for Md. We arrived while the man was on Christmas vacation. We went to the museum that Monday he returned and saw her insides and the wife said lets do it. We checked out of the motel on the 8th and started to provision & complete as much of the restoration as we could in the one week the museum gave us at their dock, We cast of the lines on a foggy Jan 15th and headed down the Chesapeake Bay towards the ICW. Well, I'll wait to tell more, and more I've got to tell. What a journey it has been. I have done a video log every day of our trip. We arrived in Fernandina Bch., Fl last Saturday and have been anchored out here waiting for my income tax ck so we can go further south. I'll be looking for a way to earn a little income here and there. Oh ya did I mention we home school our 8yo boy. He is learning so much from this adventure. Book to follow.

The Crew of
Sloop-D-Doo

Steve, Trisa & Gabriel

Last edited by Steve Pike; 03-03-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a few things
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook