SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

Ok Wolf and Paulo I am reading some books that I can understand most of the tech stuff I will not pretend I get it all with the stability charts and the sea motion comfort charts Looks good but I am just the average Joe. One book I just is finished is John Vigor : Twenty Small Saliboats to take you anywhere. Reading now Beth Leonard : Voyagers hand book. Next on my list is Lin Pardy, Larry Pardey : Storm Tactics Handbook
What seems to be an issue is heaving to and coming back up if capsized. I have found so far the books look to favor full keels narrow beams ? Fin keels do not look after themself or forgive the sailer that is beyond his endurance limit needing sleep food and warmth ? Does a fin keel need more skill and crew to be safe?
I also took note that most of the boats in said books are boats from the 1960s 70s This thread takes aim at this old vs new but lets review.
This thread is a class room for me.
I will not be a big name racer. My skill is low level but growing as with a lot of new hands. I do think going up wind is very important. I see myself always short on crew members. I will be in a used boat. Like most sailors I would like a boat that is safe, fast comfortable and has a shallow draft at a low cost. The word here will be a compromize.
Your thoughts are read more than once so post away my friends. Thanks you, Lou
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook