SailNet Community - View Single Post - Physical Fitness
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Physical Fitness

Who worries about passing a fitness test? My military opportunities went by the wayside over 40 years ago! I don't have the old 90 mph fast ball any more but I can sail well enough. If you ever see me up the mast and it looks like I am working on my fitness with aerial acrobatics Please call 911!

We are not living on our boat and I haven't given "fitness" much thought. When I turned 65 I did notice it was comfortable to move more "deliberately" when that was an option. Fitness is more about weight and pain management as I get older.

It has never occurred to me to do reps with the anchor or climb hand over hand up a halyard because I was worried about muscle mass. We row the dinghy just for the "exercise". Active sailing is an isometric workout all by itself. Climbing in and out of the engine space without a strong muscle cramp is a fitness indicator now.

I must go pack the skis and the snow shoes for a week in the mountains playing. The downriver white water canoe racing season begins the last Saturday of March. I should spend at least 10 hours in a C-1 before the first race. There is no ice in Seal Harbor. More time than that would be better but it is only a 6 mile course. That, along with X-C skiing helps keep the fly fishing muscles tuned up. We still make an AT trek or two with packs every year and then there are the Blackburn Challenge and the General Clinton (our two favorite canoe races)

This may be the year I add an ugly anchor roller to the lovely bow of our boat. It would be simpler, especially when single handing. 90' of chain and a Rocna 15 provide some stretching opportunities that I will loose if that installation takes place. Fitness again

Keeping fit! Thank goodness for the miracles of modern medicine!

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 03-06-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook