SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blisters on survey - Morgan 38
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Blisters on survey - Morgan 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by datswite View Post
Denise - It's a 1981 Morgan 382. Modified keel (encapsulated lead), skeg-mounted rudder. Holding tank and fuel tank integral to the keel. Perkins leaks from the rear seal - 1440 hours. Started right up Saturday morning - outside temp in the high 30's. From my research, many 382's have gone around. Right ocean, right season, right?

I've read numerous articles on the web that suggest that blister repairs fail. Others say not. That's the problem. Which one to believe? My 1976 Hunter shows no signs of blistering, but I've not taken off the bottom paint to verify whether or not it has had them in the past. I've had her for about 4 years.

The boat is in good condition, overall. It needs new standing rigging and new sails. The deck is solid with no signs of water intrusion. Chainplates are still shiny. No signs of rotten wood anywhere. Water tanks seem fine. Fuel tank seems fine. Bare bones in terms of equipment.

Our pre-survey negotiated price stands at $35k.
I'ver heard that all surveyors say "replace standing rigging" but most only inspect it superficially. I can be replaced in bits a pieces rather then all at once.

You can do the blister repairs. nothing to be reluctant about there. I little crash course on epoxy and you will be a "epoxyist" Like most of us.

Fuel tanks get pin holes. but not really all that expensive if you use "off the shelf"

Engine.. if your going on a circnav I'm sure you'd have new or built the engine anyway.

go for it! again.. with your mind not your heart.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook