SailNet Community - View Single Post - Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road
Re: Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28

Well the stuffing box/rudder replacement job is done! Yep. I had two good helpers Saturday and with them pushing from below and me inside inserting box and quadrant on we got her all up in and buttoned down. Looks real nice. Took about 3 hours. I used 3/8" graphite rope. Testing the steering she goes lock to lock real smooth. BUT sad to say no pics yet. Hopefully this afternoon I will get back over for a final pic. Thanks for all the help here. Assuming it will be dry on launch this has been a good experience for me. I know the boat very well at this point which is a huge bonus.

NOW... this has me wondering about the box on the prop shaft. Stuffing there is vintage 2002 with boat on the hard since 2005. Should I open that box up and replace that rope? I have started the engine and run for up to 10 minutes. Feeling the shaft and box at t hat point they were mildly warm but no where near hot. And that on the hard with no water to cool. What do you think?

Again much thanks for all the guidance along the way. Man boatyards must hate you all! :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook