SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1990s Coastal Cruisers vs. Mid 70s Bluewater Boats
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013

Grunfeld is on a distinguished road
Re: 1990s Coastal Cruisers vs. Mid 70s Bluewater Boats

NaviG,

All good questions. I expect to be sailing in the Sea of Cortez for a couple of years then down the coast to Panama, Ecuador, then out across the Pacific. I'm expecting light to moderate air for most of the time in Cortez.

I've read somewhere that the average wind long distance cruisers encounter is around 11 knots. But of course you need a boat that is capable of handling rough weather from time to time.

I'm agnostic regarding long overhangs and hull shape. Are the long waterlines giving up too much to safety to gain speed? I will be single handing most of the time I expect. The type of sailing I prefer to do is to sail from one anchorage to another in good weather windows then sit on the hook for a few days reading books, swimming, fishing, and relaxing. I'd like to have some comfort but don't demand a lot of extras.

As for rigs, I initially thought of Ketch rigs for easier sail handling but again do 90's boats solve the difficulty of raising and lowering large sails with better technology?

Is the Valiant 40 a bear to get going? Would a 36' 1977 Cabo Rico ketch, priced at $50K, be a bear to get going?

Or would I be smarter buying a 1993 38' Morgan Catalina MkII at $85K. Would it hold up to my sailing plans?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook