SailNet Community - View Single Post - new sails
Thread: new sails
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013

blakeyoung is on a distinguished road
new sails

Well, I had already been thinking about buying a new main, and after taking the boat out in some pretty breezy winds the other day, I think my 30+ year old sail had had enough and wound up ripping from leech to luff.

(I appreciate the expertise everyone here, but I just want to mention from the outset that I am not going to repair this sail and I am not going to buy a used sail. I am strictly in the market for a brand new main.)

I unfortunately do not live close to a loft that can come out and do measurements on my boat, but my rig is stock (25' mast) and all of the sails that I have found online are the exact same measurement, so I'm not too worried about buying something that will not fit. It's a Catalina 22 - shouldn't be too complicated. I find sails ranging from $500 to $1000, but all of them are made of Dacron and range from 5 to 5.53 oz fabric. They each come with a little different configuration by way extras (loose footer vs bolt rope, reef points, cunningham, etc), but by and large I see no big differences. I'm just trying to figure out why I would pay $400 more for one sail vs another if they are made of essentially the same stuff.

The sites I am considering thus far are:
Catalina Direct (sails by Ullman)
The Sail Store
North Sails (One Design)

The Sail Store is about $680 with all the features I want and One Design is about $1100. Before I drop the money, I just wanted to see what others thought. Do one of these brands stand head-and-shoulders above the other in terms of quality? I afraid I will just wind up spending the extra money because "more money means better quality," when in fact for my needs the cheaper sail would probably do just fine.

I only do daysailing in a local lake. The winds are typically 5-20 mph when I sail. This is strictly for enjoyment. No ocean, no cruising, no racing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook