SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cockpit Drains
Thread: Cockpit Drains
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Re: Cockpit Drains

I'm tackling a similar thing on Aeolus. I have two drains in the cockpit, each with an opening of 1 1/4 at top and they go down to a 3/4 elbow fitting on the seacock. No good. I'm going to take the seacock off entirely, as they are well above the waterline, and this alone will nearly double the drainage rate for my drains. I might remove and replace the cockpit opening to upsize to 1 1/2" but time will dictate that.

As Salish Sea cruisers and even West Coast Vancouver Island people, we are not forced to endure breaking seas large enough to fill our cockpit as we are never far from secure anchorage. If we were going offshore, that would require a different, more robust approach. We've spent plenty of time in ugly 6+ feet seas but nothing more than heavy splashes have ever violated the sanctity of my cockpit. My main concern is just having drainage large enough to not clog from a wad of dog hair or some random little object that falls down the drains for when I wash her out.

Just for fun, I've been wanting to do that activity you often see in books where you plug your drains, fill your cockpit. See what it does to your boat trim and time the drain. Like most good boats, Aeolus will fill her cockpit to a point where it drains over the transom before it drains into the cabin, but it would still be a lot of water. We have locks on our lockers, but some water would definitely squirt in, but nothing beyond a bilge pump capacity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook