SailNet Community - View Single Post - Free or low cost GPS navigation software?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013

tap is on a distinguished road
Re: Free or low cost GPS navigation software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongreerps View Post
I just spent totally frustrating time trying to download opencpn. Carefully following instructions on a desktop running W7, I was able to only download a decompression program. No navigation program. The download also graciously loaded Yahoo onto my computer, which I had no interest in. Getting rid of Yahoo is almost impossible. I urge caution before trying to down load opencpn at this time.
You probably tried to downloaded it from softpedia or one of the other scam sites instead of from opencpn's site. These sites make money off of other people's software by optimizing their pages to show up in search results and then serving up a page full of ads to people searching for the software. Instead of directing people to the real site of the software they provide a fake download link that installs adware and spyware on you computer. Then maybe you get directed to the opencpn site to download it (using opencpn's bandwidth of course), which you could have done all along without ever visiting the scammer's site.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook