SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
As to 'project' boats... a friend of mine got burned really bad on a boat like that. After he was done he ended up spending 3 times as much as what a similar boat would cost, not counting hundreds upon hundreds of hours he put into it himself. I don't want to make the same mistake. I would prefer to just add stuff I'm going to need anyway, like extra water storage and wind vane steering that most boats on my list just don't have.
You'll pay more in the long run, but the way I see it, I'm getting a lot of experience and intimate knowledge of those systems that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Also, consider that most of the components on our boat (a 1977) are over 35 years old at this point. I really don't want 35 year old wire and tubing going through something that I'm gonna be sleeping on, so the fact those systems needed stripped out and replaced with new didn't bother me. In other words, sure you'll pay more to finish it, but everything will be new vs very aged. It's worth pointing out on this note that Cape Dory did a horrible job with wiring, it's one of the few areas the boats needed to be rethought. Our wiring was a disaster and stripping it out was a chore, but one I'm glad that I did.

That was our way of thinking, some people may disagree, but that's how we view it. It's all a matter of perspective and opinion. On boats this size, you aren't talking about an extreme expense with most systems anyway, as you get larger I can see the costs racking up.

I should point out that I'm not trying to convert you to our way of thinking, it's perfectly reasonable to not want a project. They are a lot of time and investment, but I chose to do it for various personal reasons, two of which I've mentioned already, but also that there are some things I don't want to leave to someone else to do, wiring being a big one. I like being involved and doing things myself as much as possible, so the work doesn't really bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I have plenty of space in my yard, but trucking it in would be both expensive and tricky (hard to offload from an 18-wheeler). I could have it dropped in my neighbor's yard which has a much better access but I would hate to impose on him like that for so long.
Will the cost of shipping and blocking exceed that of a trailer? I don't know, but worth considering.

Last edited by Shinook; 03-04-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook