SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 42 ... Why not?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 42 ... Why not?

I hate to be a shoot stirrer here but there is another option to the wing vs. fin debate for the C-42. Some friends of ours have owned a C-42 for the last 10 years or so that they bought in the Virgins from the original owner after he got caught out in a hurricane. The boat came through fine but the owner was so freaked out by the experience he was done with the boat. They bought her, for a very good price, and sailed her back to here to the southwest coast of Florida. She was the deep keel version and our pals thought a bit too deep for the area. So, they hauled her out and took a chain saw to her keel, lopping 6" off the bottom. We all thought Joe was "nuts" but he did save about 7" of her draft and quite a bit on her displacement. (I really don't know how much but a lot. He's still got the lead in his garage in case he ever wants to bolt it back on.) Despite everyone's misgivings, Wind Caller, has been sailed all over heck's half acre and performs very well over all and Joe and Casey are very happy with the boat. Up to 15-18 knots she stays on her feet and moves very nicely. They do have to reef down somewhat earlier than their sister-ships but, until about 18, she stays with, or mostly ahead of, the fleet. Joe is a good sailor and its a pain in the neck to always feel like he's breathing down your neck with that boat until the breeze really gets up.

FWIW...

PS: My (much) better half is only 4'-11" as well and she can't reach most of the hand-holds on that boat either. I am told they rig a grab rope from the companionway to the mast in snotty weather, just in case...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 03-05-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook