SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 42 ... Why not?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 42 ... Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
I hate to be a shoot stirrer here but there is another option to the wing vs. fin debate for the C-42. Some friends of ours have owned a C-42 for the last 10 years or so that they bought in the Virgins from the original owner after he got caught out in a hurricane. The boat came through fine but the owner was so freaked out by the experience he was done with the boat.
That's actually a pretty good endorsement for the Catalina 42's ability to weather a blow.

Quote:
So, they hauled her out and took a chain saw to her keel, lopping 6" off the bottom.

I'd think a wing keel would be a better option. I've read several stories about Catalina owners swapping keels on used boats. Supposedly dealers can get them from the factory - even for boats that are out of production. I don't know if that's true but given the level of customer support Catalina provides it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote:
My (much) better half is only 4'-11" as well and she can't reach most of the hand-holds on that boat either. I am told they rig a grab rope from the companionway to the mast in snotty weather, just in case...
LOL, my wife's 5'1˝" (she'll fight you for the ˝). Every time she goes on a boat at a boat show she checks if she can reach the hand holds.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook