SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Route du Rhum

And to finish with this series of posts about the BIG transat, just a few videos more. Some regarding the other two major classes, mono-hulls this time and about the class that is most intended for good amateurs.

About the Open60 class, after the Vendee Globe, I guess that all know what it is about, just to say that all the best are here and that on the race they fought a very informal and unofficial battle against the Multi50 class. When the weather is fine and it is all downwind the 50ft trimarans have no problem to win that battle but when the weather is bad (and that is usual in the first part of the race) and there is a lot of upwind sailing, things get balanced.

When there are bad weather, as last year, it is a lot more easy to drive an Open60 trough heavy seas, even on autopilot. A 50ft trimarans require the skipper to be all times at the rudder or then to slow down a lot. The boat is also more uncomfortable and if care is not taken subject to break more easely.

Last year only the great Escoffier and his beautiful "Crepes whaou" managed (not for much) to beat the first Open60. After that several Open 60 arrived before arrived another Multi50. And that's only half the story because these guys don't like to be overtaken, not even by a bigger monohull, so in the effort to prevent that 2 broke the boats (and both made it home at slow speed) and another one capsized (if I remember it right).

Some movies with Open 60 boats, just three for the ones that don't know what it is about. The first one is an old one, with an older boat but it really gives a pretty good idea why these boats have an advantage in bad weather:

the 40class racers:

About the performance of these babies on Transats it is good to remember the last ARC where a 40class racer with a small crew beat a fully crewed Swan 80 and won the racing class (real time).

And then you have the open class for boats between 39 and 59, a class mostly for amateurs with some Open50 an 40 in the mix. The most interesting thing on this class is to see how cruising boats or modified cruising boats perform against racing boats. Last year we had a modified RM 1350 (without much of the interior) that was making a great race till he was forced to give up with electrical problems and on another edition we had a standard Cigale 16 making a great race.

Now just imagine almost 90 of these animals, all classes together, speeding in a Transat in Novemmber, when the weather is particularly nasty in the North Atlantic and you can imagine the spectacle. Some teasers from the race:

Well, if you are not convinced that this race is a major one and an enthusiastic one, definitively you don't like sailboat racing. If you like it, you can follow the comments here about it. All of the best solo sailors are already focused on this one, trying to find faster boats, looking for sponsors and training. I will keep you guys posted about it because anyway I am going to be informed. I am a big fan of this race

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-05-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook