SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 42 ... Why not?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Catalina 42 ... Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyea View Post
With regard to C42 wing keel perf vs fin keel, I think we may be splitting hairs...

A quick review of both Narragansett and New England PHRF current ratings indicates there is AT MOST only a 1.0 to 1.5% difference in perfomance ratings based on actual boats actually being measured and actually raced...interesting...
Wether or not its splitting hairs will be subjective based on the owners philosophical outlook, but I'm with the previous poster saying the evidence is the fin is more like 3-5% faster and will also out point the same boat with a wing. For many, many people this difference won't matter a whit, but to some having the same boat pull a "horizon job" on you is like a knife in the heart. Even in cruising pointing higher is a great benefit and I do think you'll have less issues with weather helm with a fin which is a plus regardless of other performance advantages.

And thanks for whoever started this thread making me want to go buy a fin keel C42, when I can't hardly keep up the care an feeding of my C36.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook