SailNet Community - View Single Post - Norfolk, VA to Boston delivery
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Norfolk, VA to Boston delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post

Can you elaborate? The First 38 draws nearly 7' if I can use Google correctly. I had a heck of a time with a shoal draft Passport 40 in Barnegat recently. The marina on the North side of the Manasquan channel (Hoffman?) right before the railroad bridge is fine and the fuel dock is on the t-head. In and out isn't bad at all. I agree they don't really understand sailboats (or weather for that matter) so I wouldn't plan to stay there, but as a fuel stop it seems more attractive to me than Barnegat.

Please educate me.
You had a hard time in Barnegat Inlet and the anchorage ( Meyers Hole 1 and 2). Thats where we usually anchor, It is just past the channel leading back into Barnegat Bay on the starboard after transiting the back of the inlet.

The channe lmarked by small reds and greens past the first anchorage goes back toHigh Bar Yacht Club where we have also stayed and usually carries 8-10 feet back to the second anchorage. That is our normal stop over on our trip up the Jersey coast to the LI Sound every summer. Did some of it shoal in from Sandy? W took a trip there on land and it didnt look like they got much in the way of damage. Barnegat Bay areas did though I understand.

Dave did it change?

For those who have never done Barnegat, it can be a tricky inlet unless you know what you are getting into when you are going in it and can be dangerous in NE and E winds.

Manesquan( Cape May and AtlanticCity ) is one of the three good Jersey inlets we have found in terms of getting in. Virtually no shoals alongside the way in creating breakers across the channel. There is no anchorage area, Dave is correct on Hoffmans for overnighting at the bridge and also the fuel dock there. Face the current at the fuel dock as its fairly strong there. There also is a nice Marina after the first two bridges also. We generally aviod Manequan and going north push on to Atlantic Highlands.

We always stay at Utches so we can walk to everything, besides they are family friends of 30 years now when I used to live in the South Jersey area.

Luck Bones is a fairly good restaurant within walking distance. Lobster House inside is a tourist trap, but the outside take out deck is cool and the fresh fish market cannot be beat for avriety, price and freshness. Our next meal is at achorage heading north ( Usually barnegat) and its always a nicely grilled fish steak from there.

However three of the best restaurants in New Jersey are in Cape May proper.
The Ebbit Room in the Virginia Hotel, 410 Bank Street, and Frescos. The last two are owned by the same people and are next to each other. Fescos is Nnorthern Italian cuisine. Also the beats breakfast is at the Mad Batter...try their blueberry banana stuffed french toast with vermont maple syrup for decadence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook