SailNet Community - View Single Post - Norfolk, VA to Boston delivery
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Norfolk, VA to Boston delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
If going outside why fool with Block or the Cape Cod canal? Go out and around.
I don't know, Dave - someone comes here asking "how long is the trip?", and "where are some good places to stop?", and sounding like they may never have done an overnight passage before, well... I'm not sure I'd be too comfortable sending them out and around Nantucket Shoals, and outside the Cape... (grin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg
From there I'd recommend Barnegat, then up to NY harbor...(I detest Atlantic City, and Manasquan is distinctly unaccommodating to sailboats)

Can you elaborate? The First 38 draws nearly 7' if I can use Google correctly. I had a heck of a time with a shoal draft Passport 40 in Barnegat recently. The marina on the North side of the Manasquan channel (Hoffman?) right before the railroad bridge is fine and the fuel dock is on the t-head. In and out isn't bad at all. I agree they don't really understand sailboats (or weather for that matter) so I wouldn't plan to stay there, but as a fuel stop it seems more attractive to me than Barnegat.

Please educate me.
You may be right, I thought the First 38 was also offered in a shoal draft closer to 5.5', but who knows what he's bought?

I'll admit, I haven't been in Barnegat post-Sandy, but since the big scallop boats are still operating out of Barnegat Light, I'd imagine getting his boat inside to the anchorage would be do-able... Where did you have your problem, exactly?

My recommendation is based somewhat on the assumption that he'd likely stop in Cape May, and from there AC is a pretty short day, and Manasquan a pretty long one, so... You're right, if he's just making a pit stop for fuel, then Manasquan is probably preferable, certainly a quicker in and out...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook