SailNet Community - View Single Post - Micron CSC vs Micron Extra --- Mid-Chesapeake
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Micron CSC vs Micron Extra --- Mid-Chesapeake

Having used Micron the last two times, that is all previous owner used for 20 yrs. I used WM PCA 2 yrs ago, held up well, did not have as much junk on it. Could have gone a third year in water all year in puget sound. But had to pull a month ago for a leaking PSS shaft seal. Boat was out, so on went another coat.

The PCA seems to ablate easier and better per say than the Micron did, and at slower speeds. Probably a softer paint too, so it may not be as good per say.......but getting a clean bottom after sitting for 2 months on news years day after a 1-2 hr sail.....can not complain. It was after that new years sail I cam back to the boat and found water over the floor boards and a slow leak in the shaft seal.

I do not recall who said it, but some ablatives are softer, and only need 2-4 knots of speed to clean themselves. Where as the Micron IIRC needed 5-6 knots to start to ablate. So if you have a 6.5knot hull speed boat, the softer could be better.

marty