SailNet Community - View Single Post - Micron CSC vs Micron Extra --- Mid-Chesapeake
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013
Walter

walterzoy is on a distinguished road
Re: Micron CSC vs Micron Extra --- Mid-Chesapeake

I use Blue Water ablative 45% copper and get one year of a very clean bottom, no paint build up to sand and only pay $120.00 per gallon at Old Bay Marina on Old Road Bay off of the Patapsco. Blue Water anti-fouling is rated close to #1 in all the sailing and powerboat magazine tests.

If you want to get 2 years or more, they have a 65% copper, but I haul-out at the marina very winter so that I do not have to worry about the boat bouncing around during those winter storms.

I have Old Bay Marina paint my Catalina 30 bottom, the labor including tape, brushes, rollers, and supplies is $195.00 and they use about 5 quarts of bottom paint but still only charge me for one gallon at $120.00 per gallon. Best prices on the Chesapeake and they do a nice job for what a lot of you guys are spending for just the paint alone. $315.00 for paint and labor on my Catalina 30!

I also have them give my prop a coat of PropSpeed and and I never need for a driver to go down mid-season and clean my prop. When I had the driver clean the prope it just fouled up again after a few weeks and was just a waste of my money. With the PropSpeed coating the prop stays clean, it is the only thing that works and stays on the prop until the end of the season.

My marina charges me $175.00 for the PropSpeed and labor - not bad considering two small cans of the stuff (smaller than a cat food can) at West Marine is about $300.00. Old Bay can do two sailboat props with one kit. They buy/use so much PropSpeed that they must get a good discount, so its cheaper for me to let them do the application.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook