SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 2-30 vs ericson 27
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013

daledog is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 2-30 vs ericson 27

I've been sailing Cals since the mid 80's and owned a 25, a Ron Holland designed 9.2 and currently own a 29. Also sailed several other models. On a Cal 22 we encountered a 65 mph storm with 8 foot waves in 8 foot of water (off Toledo Ohio on Lake Erie) and tho it was extreme the boat did well. Bill Lapworth designed great boats for Cal, they have stood the test of time. Hand laid up hulls, very stable and solid.

I don't know Ericksons nearly as well, tho I did spend several summers on a 35 in my early sailing days. They are fine boats...

As for size, three foot in length is almost exponentially larger. Faster. More stable. Probably be the best $3000 you ever spent...

yeah...sight unseen....I vote Cal

I have several boats at the moment (see my other posts) and would sell the 29 for a very reasonable price and could (depending on where you are) deliver it....and no. I'm not voting Cal to sell mine. I just have to get down to one boat, and I have a Hinckley Bermuda 40 which is the one I live on. I also have an O'Day 27 (Allen Gurney design....nice boat, very similar to the Cal) and a Tartan T37. Anyone looking for a great boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook