SailNet Community - View Single Post - Plan of Attack in BVI, Island Hopping
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Plan of Attack in BVI, Island Hopping

I don't recall any charter company requiring a particular itinerary, although, all have restrictions on some specific passages or anchorages.

We (I think most) find a general counter clockwise trip to work best, so that you are beating into the wind while inside SFDC and have a downwind leg when exposed to the northerly ocean swell. Fielders choice, however.

Day one is really like a shakedown cruise on a new boat and you'll likely get a late start after briefings, provisioning, etc. Plan a relatively short cruise, so you can quickly relax away from the bustle of the charter marina. Then I like to press day 2 to get a longer passage out of the way, say all the way to North Sound. No right or wrong, do it your way.

I don't get the attraction of Anegada. Its relatively far on an exposed passage and can be very tricky to navigate the approach. Some charter companies do restrict this trip, perhaps because it would be so difficult for them to come bail you out.

With 10 days on your first trip, I would personally leave it off the itinerary and spend more time seeing the rest. Just about anywhere else, you can change your mind enroute, bail into a different anchorage, snorkle along the way, etc. With Anegada, you're committed. Some love it though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook