SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did you get the money for your first sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: How did you get the money for your first sailboat?

Maybe my story is a bit unique?

I did very well in my career. Made partner then took over ownership, then set up my own firm. Yeah, we owned houses. I had one on the golf course, one in the country with property, even had one just off the ICW and parked my boat behind it. But all that said, my wife and I decided long before that we wanted to raise our kids on a sailboat.

My oldest has been aboard since 5 days old. He is now 12 about to turn 13. My youngest has never known anything but boats. We have always owned one and if we didn't live on it, spent a lot of time on it.

We made a lot of "sacrifices". I shut down my business at its height (and walked away from a LOT of money). I sold my cars. I sold my houses. I sold or gave away everything I owned except the boat and what is now in a 10x15 storage. We just left St Pete for the last time after many wonderful months there. I am now tryping this anchored off of Emerson Point near Bradenton, Fl. Tomorrow we explore the ruins on Egmont. The next day we sail down to Longboat Key. After a few days there, we go to Venice. After a few days there, we go to Cabbage Key, then Fort Myers Beach for a week, then the keys for a month or so before heading to the Bahamas.

My kids are 20 feet away from me and we spend every moment together. I see my wife all day, everyday. We do everything as a family and its not always perfect, but it is together. My kids are not raised by a system, we directly influence their lives and education, they know their parents, we toast sunsets with each other everyday and play catch or monopoly or something as a family EVERY night. Every night.

SOund like a wonderful life? Sound like a blessed life? It is. Don't let anyone fool you or tell you otherwise.

You don't have to have a 40 foot vessel to do this. You don't have to pay cash for a boat. You dont have to work for years and years and stick every penny in a jar. THe secret to doing this is (shhhh, read this quietly): Just do it.

Just do it and break away from the chains that keep you in the "system". Live aboard your boat. Find one that speaks to you and that you are very comfortable on. It doesn't take a lot of money, it takes a committment to yourself and your family. If your present job would not allow you to live aboard, get another job! What are you so afraid of? It is a job, not a life! Find one on the coast where you can live aboard. Focus on your goal and don't let anything get in your way to get there.

When you do, give us a shout. We may very well be anchored right beside you. We will have a coke or beer together. We will toast your sunset as another success story of someone who put their priorities in the right order.

Brian

PS Sunset off of Emerson...

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook