SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kyuquot
Thread: Kyuquot
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Kyuquot

I have not been into Kyuquot - yet.

Port Hardy is a good start. Get long range weather forecasts in the form of weatherfax and grib files while you are there.

You will want to cross the Nahwitti Bar at a high water slack. If it turns early in the day, stay overnight in Bull Harbour and then cross the next morning. The ebb will accelerate you to Scott Channel. From Scott Channel, head for Winter Harbour.

If the Bar turns later in the day you will get into Winter Harbour in the dark after leaving Port Hardy. It is doable with planning. Robson rock is on the chart but not marked with a nav aid. The channel into Winter Harbour is fairly straight forward with one shoal area.

From Winter Harbour to Kyuquot is another day. VHF coverage is spotty in Winter Harbour. Cell coverage is non-existent in Winter Harbour, but you can get a Telus signal once you are near Kains Island. I download a weatherfax and new grib files while sitting there. Get the local conditions at Solander and the South Brooks weather buoy before heading out. Area WP is active occassionally.

The route into Kyuquot is well marked.

Feel free to PM me or post here for others to see.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook