SailNet Community - View Single Post - Micron CSC vs Micron Extra --- Mid-Chesapeake
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Micron CSC vs Micron Extra --- Mid-Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterzoy View Post
I use Blue Water ablative 45% copper and get one year of a very clean bottom, no paint build up to sand and only pay $120.00 per gallon at Old Bay Marina on Old Road Bay off of the Patapsco. Blue Water anti-fouling is rated close to #1 in all the sailing and powerboat magazine tests.

If you want to get 2 years or more, they have a 65% copper, but I haul-out at the marina very winter so that I do not have to worry about the boat bouncing around during those winter storms.

I have Old Bay Marina paint my Catalina 30 bottom, the labor including tape, brushes, rollers, and supplies is $195.00 and they use about 5 quarts of bottom paint but still only charge me for one gallon at $120.00 per gallon. Best prices on the Chesapeake and they do a nice job for what a lot of you guys are spending for just the paint alone. $315.00 for paint and labor on my Catalina 30!

I also have them give my prop a coat of PropSpeed and and I never need for a driver to go down mid-season and clean my prop. When I had the driver clean the prope it just fouled up again after a few weeks and was just a waste of my money. With the PropSpeed coating the prop stays clean, it is the only thing that works and stays on the prop until the end of the season.

My marina charges me $175.00 for the PropSpeed and labor - not bad considering two small cans of the stuff (smaller than a cat food can) at West Marine is about $300.00. Old Bay can do two sailboat props with one kit. They buy/use so much PropSpeed that they must get a good discount, so its cheaper for me to let them do the application.
Old Bay Marina has good prices as does Youngs where I get mine done. Guess thats because they are close to each other. A friend of mine keeps his boat in Old Bay. I also use the petit product on my prop

I find its easier on the rig that the boats in the water, covered for the winter
where when the wind blows the boat can give instead of vibrating in jack stands. Our club has good protection and my slip is 11 ft deep so no danger of bottoming. Boats are better supported by water than 8 jackstands placed under them. Beside I pay for a slip year round and save on having the boat hauled and blocked which in your case would add $15/ ft or $450 per year to the price.

Right now you can get UltimaSR60 from Defender for $188 a can or a cost of $68 more, however it lasts at least 2 years. I am on my third year with it. If you add in $100 a year for the diver and look at a two year analysis it looks like this.

2 haul outs ( $900)+2 cans of paint ($240)+2 labor and supplies( $390)= $1540 for two years
vs
1 haul out ($450)+ 2 diver($100)+ 2 cans of paint ($288) + labor and supplies ($195)= $1133

Thats a savings of $400 by using the the paint that lasts for two years and also having a diver clean the boat twice each season. If you can get a third year out of it like I will this year by using this paint which seems to perform really well., I will actually save another $770 and also the wear and tear and stress o the boat having it lifted/

I suppose if I took the boat of the water you could put almost any ablative on it as I think in the PS tests all did well the first year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook