SailNet Community - View Single Post - Norfolk, VA to Boston delivery
View Single Post
post #22 of Old 03-06-2013
Mermaid Hunter
SVAuspicious's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: on the boat - Chesapeake
Posts: 3,984
Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 141 Posts
Rep Power: 9
Re: Norfolk, VA to Boston delivery

Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
There is no law saying that you must go out all the way to Greenland. Who is minding my business.
I didn't suggest going to Greenland. I go outside Cape Cod just like I go outside Cape Hatteras. Watch the weather and have contingency plans. Generally out is faster and safer. Less to run into. YMMV.

Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Yes, my bad. I don't know why I typed kn/h. I actually paused, but somehow I forgot to come back to proofread it. I am sure everyone know what it meant. I didn't expect someone will ever care. Have you ever made mistake you or misspoken?
I make mistakes all the time. I try to make new and creative mistakes that others and I can learn from. Units ARE important. A slip is one thing. Lack of caring demonstrates a lack of understanding. Part of the function of this board is to share information and knowledge. Consider yourself shared with. Units are important.

Example - if you have a calculation to do and carry the units through properly and the units don't come out as you expect you KNOW there is a fundamental problem in your approach. Get used to carrying units and you'll avoid silly mistakes.

Which returns us to the opportunity for making new and creative mistakes.

Originally Posted by fallard View Post
With a new boat, you might want the Chesapeake for a proper shakedown, as someone else mentioned. Annapolis is a good place to look for repair parts. I got a new belt for my AP there.
Point well taken, which gets back to my questions about the state of the boat.

I'm an SSCA Cruising Station in Annapolis. If the OP chooses to come up the Chesapeake and needs some help in Annapolis I'm happy to pitch in. I can also walk him through the timing for a current boost through the C&D and down Delaware Bay.

Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Going outside Cape Cod instead of the Canal? SVAuspicious can't be serious. You do need Eldridge's to work the currents. from Block Island until you get past the Cape Cod Canal.
Quite serious. From Norfolk, weather permitting, the angles are good. If you can't get weather info aboard I agree that coastal hopping makes sense. If you want to explore and enjoy yourself, hop up the coast. If you want to move the boat get offshore and move the boat. That's what people pay me for.

Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
You had a hard time in Barnegat Inlet and the anchorage ( Meyers Hole 1 and 2). Thats where we usually anchor, It is just past the channel leading back into Barnegat Bay on the starboard after transiting the back of the inlet.
Barnegat Inlet is fine - pretty easy. There is a hump getting into Barnegat Bay. I was going to Forked River. Once in the Bay I was okay until I got into the River. I haven't stopped at the marinas or anchorages right inside the inlet.

Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I don't know, Dave - someone comes here asking "how long is the trip?", and "where are some good places to stop?", and sounding like they may never have done an overnight passage before, well... I'm not sure I'd be too comfortable sending them out and around Nantucket Shoals, and outside the Cape... (grin)
Point taken. I try to put myself in the shoes of the person asking the question. In this case I lost track. From Norfolk I'd go offshore and around though, again weather permitting. That's why I carry wefax gear on deliveries.

Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
You may be right, I thought the First 38 was also offered in a shoal draft closer to 5.5', but who knows what he's bought?
I think you're right. Most of the First boats were bought for club racing and the deep draft versions are all over the place.

Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Where did you have your problem, exactly?
The hump between the channel and the Bay proper. I got really hung up and called Towboat/US. Note to wannabe delivery skippers - you do know you need a separate towing policy right? Your personal policy isn't valid if you are doing a delivery, and the owners policy isn't good if he isn't aboard. Make sure Boat/US gets your delivery policy hooked to your personal policy so you get credit for your West Marine purchases. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. *grin*

Anyway the local tower came out and pulled us through. Passport 40 drawing 5-1/2 feet. Called us on the radio and told us not to drop the towline as there were two more humps. He was right. Dragged us through half a foot of mud in each case. I don't recall exact state of tide but it was clear that waiting around wasn't going to help much.

Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
My recommendation is based somewhat on the assumption that he'd likely stop in Cape May, and from there AC is a pretty short day, and Manasquan a pretty long one, so... You're right, if he's just making a pit stop for fuel, then Manasquan is probably preferable, certainly a quicker in and out...
That was my thinking. I don't remember the air draft on a First 38 but if he doesn't fit under the bridge at Cape May then Cape May doesn't make any sense for the Chesapeake/Delaware route. I would either stop at Cape Henlopen for rest or if fuel is an issue push on to Atlantic City. AC is a good all-weather entrance and easy even in darkness. You can find my anchorage guidance on ActiveCaptain. *grin*

Your points, Jon, on experience of the OP are well taken. I care more about weather and tidal current in inlets than darkness.

Originally Posted by TQA View Post
If you do decide to go outside and it gets snotty remember deep water is your friend.
When in doubt, go out.

Originally Posted by TQA View Post
I would be VERY reluctant to run an unfamiliar inlet. If you feel you HAVE TO then there is no shame in asking for someone to pilot you in. I remember well having to enter at Cape Fear and although it was buoyed and one of the easier inlets I was VERY glad that I called up a passing shrimper and he slowed down to let me follow him in.
Another good reason for having Towboat/US towing insurance. When you get to an inlet you are nearly always in cell range. The Towboat/US dispatch desk will patch you through to the local tower for local information. Really good deal.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 03-06-2013 at 10:42 AM.
SVAuspicious is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome