SailNet Community - View Single Post - Norfolk, VA to Boston delivery
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Norfolk, VA to Boston delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
There is a true wealth of information here from experienced sailors and even from professional delivery captains, who like professionals from almost every other field of endeavor, do not agree on all points all the time.
I think you'll find that where we differ it is based on different assumptions. When we talk things over consensus is reached pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Burton View Post
... So watch the weather, don't be in a hurry, and be prepared and make sure your crew is prepared to sit at the dock and wait for better weather. ...

... As for going up the Chesapeake, it adds only 50 miles to the trip, and it's a good way to shake down the boat and the crew. ...

... And going through NYC is enthralling and adds little to the mileage. ...
Weather is important. You really need a way to get weather information on the boat underway. The NOAA VHF material is way too local to plan with. Synoptics are the way to go which realistically means weather fax unless you have Internet.

If you have any doubts about your crew than I agree that heading up the Chesapeake makes sense, mostly because you can drop them in Annapolis or Baltimore and they have lots of public transportation options: BWI and Amtrak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Is your anchorage at AC the one next to the bulkhead before the bridge or the one opposite Clam Creek ( the entrance for the Farley. Kammermans marinas), That one was blocked a good part of the year by a dredge and its pipes last summer. Have you been back there since Setember 1 yet?
39d 22.93'N 074d 25.28'W I haven't been there since July '12. I don't remember the dredge but I went into the state marina to drop off sick crew and left. I know I've anchored in there since my post in '10 but I don't recall how recently.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook