Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Courtesy Flags

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Guess we can ignore this, then, those silly Customs and Revenue folks:

HM Revenue & Customs

Sailing your pleasurecraft to and from the United Kingdom

3.1 Do I need to fly the yellow ‘Q’ flag?
If you are arriving directly from another EU Member State there is no need to fly the ‘Q’ flag.

If you are arriving from outside the EU (and this includes the Channel Islands) you must fly the ‘Q’ flag, where it can readily be seen, as soon as you enter UK waters (the 12 mile limit). Do not take down the flag until you have finished reporting to the customs authorities, as described in sub-section 3.2 Failure to comply will make you liable to a penalty.
Wouldn't ignore it. Like I said, not trying to bunch your drawers up in a knot. The US Customs and Border Protection is not interested in flags as far as I can tell. The Bahamian customs office refers to it as a custom as well, not a requirement with penalties for failing to comply.
Poking around after reading the thread it looks as though there are still several countries where the Q is the law of the land until cleared.

** edited to add this from the HMRC site*** "This notice is not the law. It is HMRC’s view of the law and nothing in this notice takes the place of the law."
And I agree, Chapmans is the way to go for info on flying the flags.

Last edited by Silvio; 03-06-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook