SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Dehler 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post

The interior looks very nice and clever, except for the chart table .

These hinged panels hiding the instruments have sharp edges and are very vulnerable when opened. In anything but calm seas, the navigator is going to get hurt by these panels or the panels will be destroyed by the navigator, probably both .

I agree with you on that. It is not the chart table per se but that panel. The boat even has good holding points but you are right if someone holds itself on that panel it is going to break. But I guess that sailors are also responsible for a lot of nonsense regarding where they want navigation instruments on a sailboat. In fact today plotters are used mostly on coastal navigation and on coastal navigation it makes sense the plotter near the helmsman. The same with the VHF.

When doing offshore navigation, I mean crossing Oceans everybody uses a laptop for navigation and that is the only kind of navigation where you can be inside the boat for a considerable time. The use of computer is necessary not only to receive and decode Gribs as also to run routing programs.

99% of the boats are used mostly on coastal conditions, even if occasionally sail offshore and that has to be taken in account when designing a standard navigation set up (that eventually can be changed for the few that want a boat mostly for offshore use).

In fact that configuration, that is not only used on the Dehler but on most cruising boats makes no sense but clients still want to have a lot of instruments near the chart table, as if the boat was a ship and the boat was effectively sailed from that place.

Salona is one of the few performance cruisers that have as an option decently designed pods for instruments near the two wheels. They have done that at my request for the 38 I was going to buy. Well, I did not bought the boat but they have used them on the 35. I am not sure if that is a popular option. I guess that many still prefer to have the plotter inside.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook