SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel fuel and bottoms water pH
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Diesel fuel and bottoms water pH

I'm finishing an article and some testing regarding diesel fuel additives and corrosion. One of the surprises was that in tanks with the most severe corrosion--they were leaking in some cases, and in another the sending unit was destroyed--the pH of the bottoms water was very low, like vinegar. They didn't display gross evidence of corrosion--the usual snot deposits--but I'm certain that was the cause, somewhere in the fuel supply train.

Salt contamination was also present. Sandy and past storms that submerged fuel dock tanks, perhaps.

Has anyone on this forum ever tested the pH of the water they drain from the Raycor, for example? Or tested for salt? Just curious how widespread the problem might be. We only saw a few cases of extreme contamination, but in each case there was trouble.

----

Though most of my boating experiences is with gasoline engines, I am an API tank inspector and have seen countless cases of sour water destroying 1/4-inch thick tanks in 5-15 years. Most oil field tanks are epoxy lined these days; that is what I would do if specifying a diesel tank.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 03-06-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook