SailNet Community - View Single Post - incredible!
Thread: incredible!
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Oh I know that Chuckles but still.. just amazing to see the boat recover mostly on it's own LOL
Hi Denise,

That is in fact a great video. It was already been posted but I guess that is never too much, it is really a great one. I have already commented it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Not a very frequent figure on a Figaro II that is a solo racing boat and therefore with a bigger tolerance than a boat designed to do full crewed racing.

These are no amateuts but professional racers testing the boat limits. They are followed not by a reporter boat bot by their coach that is filming for analyzing the performance and errors later with them. I guess they had a lot to analyze that day

They explain the accident:

They where training at the EMC Training (Training Center Mediterranean).

On the boat Xavier Macaire and Yves Le Blevec going at 15 knots downwind with a 35K wind. They put up their small spinnaker and quickly pass to 20K speed. "Normally Macaire says, the Figaro, it's manageable on these conditions ..." Except that in this case, the operation resulted in an involuntary spectacular figure, the kind it is usual in multihulls.

The mistake? "We had not moved all the equipment to the back of the boat and we had to sail well downwind to stay away of the coast," said Macarius. "So it was difficult for Yves to unload the bow." Good result.
I guess that they where scared when happened but I am quite sure they had a good laugh after this crazy accident. Take a look at some other professionals training with that boat, a Benetau Figaro II, a solo racing boat:

These are all professional racers and all young. These are the guys that are learning, trying to be good enough to sail an Open60's and all dream with winning the Vendee Globe

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-06-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook