SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cam cleat placement for jib sheets?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
Re: Cam cleat placement for jib sheets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Inside the coaming/on the seatbacks would work best for you, but I'd orient each one in a position that provides a natural lead from the winch drum to the cleat.. ]
Yeah, that's along the lines that I was thinking. Thanks for the illustration. The only problem with that is the cams will be in the back of whoever is sitting in the cockpit. I can see someone inexperienced sitting down hard after a tack shift and getting a cam in the back. Do you think I could angle them aft enough to avoid this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Perhaps another alternative is to place the cam cleats aft of the horn cleats. You would do a single wrap of the tail and then through the cam cleat. This would keep your horn cleats available for dock lines and also avoid a cam cleat in the back for someone seated in the cockpit.
This would be great, and serve to align the sheets into the cams. It would be the optimal arrangement for single handing, but sailing with a crew would be different. The trimmer would have a hard time reaching the tail of the sheets behind the wheel.