SailNet Community - View Single Post - Norfolk, VA to Boston delivery
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Norfolk, VA to Boston delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post

Barnegat Inlet is fine - pretty easy. There is a hump getting into Barnegat Bay. I was going to Forked River. Once in the Bay I was okay until I got into the River. I haven't stopped at the marinas or anchorages right inside the inlet.
There is more than one "hump', the Oyster Creek Channel into the bay can be a real challenge in a few places... but there would be no reason for anyone stopping for an overnight in Barnegat to venture in there, and simply coming inside the inlet to the anchorage in Meyer's Hole should be no problem, even for one who has the deep keeled version of the First 38...

Barnegat has always had a fearsome reputation, but I think it is one of the few inlets on the east coast that appears to be improving with the passage of time. It's become quite stable in recent years, the addition of the South Jetty years ago is one of those projects that the Corps of Engineers really seemed to get right... Of course it will quickly turn treacherous on the ebb with a good swell running, but otherwise it has become pretty straightforward...

I know I'm somewhat prejudiced, it being in my backyard and a favorite local destination and all, but I think Barnegat Light is a very special place... This pic happened to be taken exactly one week before the night Sandy came ashore there...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-06-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook