SailNet Community - View Single Post - Run-aground sailboat was stolen
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Re: Run-aground sailboat was stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37SOLARE View Post
So where was the paid crew?

Keeping the vessel "safe" is their job, and a boat like this certainly had at least 2 if not more full time crew aboard.
I don't want to step on too many toes but please refrain from speculating on deriliction of duty when it comes to this situation. Before Darling was moved to Sausalito (which appeared on the news to have non-gated dock access) the boat was berthed on the end of my row at Marina Bay (two slips away from my boat) for about 8 months. The 'crew' were paid to look after the boat but they also own a Pearson 35 which looked imaculate when berthed next to Darling for a short time. So far as I know they live aboard the 35 and do long distance transportation and maintenance of Darling. I don't think they live aboard Darling unless they are transporting it. The owner sails the boat themselves; not crewed.

I never met the couple that take care of the boat formally but they seemed like nice folks when passing on the docks and my slip neighbor chatted with them a couple of times which provided me the information I'm posting here. The boat was amazing up close; the rod rigging looked like it was ~2" in diameter. When my dock neighbor commented on the immense size of the mast and rigging to the crew they replied that the mast alone cost over 2 million.

Two of the three arrested were released because their story was that the 3'rd guy was offering to take them out on the bay and the boat was legally in his posession (a friend of the owner or something). Seems like they had time to come up with a story before they were arrested; but I guess the police bought the story so they were let go. The person who is in custody is being held on 1 million dollars bail; the damage to Darling is estimated at 100,000 but will likely go higher. Rudder, keel joint/stub, tank(s), engine, folding prop, flood damaged interior; it's going to be expensive.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook