SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired

If you can find a 70's boat from a quality builder that someone has lovingly maintained, updated and refurbished (especially for long-distance cruising) then you can't really go wrong. I've seen some deals on boats with a new engine, rigging, sails, batteries & solar panels, wiring, tanks etc. for sale because the owner discovered he didn't like cruising after all. A boat like this can be a great deal. Usually they command a premium price, but nowhere near what was invested in the boat. This is especially true of boats that were produced in large numbers and which have many for sale on the market.

I'm not sure there will be any advantage in buying a boat from the 80's (over the 70's) as they will have all systems at the end of their useful life as well unless someone has replaced them.

By the same token, a boat (especially a large one) from the 70's or 80's, with lots of old and complex systems that have not been replaced recently will be a constant repair nightmare. I think in this case it is infinitely better to get a simpler recently-revamped old boat or a much newer boat.