SailNet Community - View Single Post - The last 3ft (mast work)
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: The last 3ft (mast work)

Getting above the top of the mast can be tricky... Even trickier is doing it while not holding on so you can use a drill, tools, screws etc etc etc

And remember the average cruiser is a rank amature with tools in a workshop on terra firma so fumbling at the mast head can be a slow, frustrating and dangerous process. Dangerous for the poor mug on the deck too! One of my idiot mates who "loves" heights and is about 30 years old went up on his ATN mast climber, dropped a drill battery nearly on my head, bent the bloody toe rail and then ran out of energy to climb the ATN gizmo down!

I try to pay someone who is competant to do jobs up there. Though I will go up and do my own checks, etc.

Remember this: if you spent your whole life behind a desk and are now going cruising remind yourself of Dirty Harry "A mans gotta know his limitations"

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook