SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing in New England for newbie
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013

robmo01 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing in New England for newbie

It's tough finding a blue water experience in New England without having to join some type of sailing club. I would suggest that you check the crew wanted forum for opportunities that match your time commitment. Another possibility is to check on crew wanted pages at the yacht clubs along the MA coast. You may be able to get a spot on a boat racing offshore this summer. There are quite a few races along the coast that you might be able to get in on. If you're susceptible to the mal de mer, you definitely want to put the old patch on he day before the race. One other bit of advice, I wouldn't drink coffee the morning of the event as well. My experience on a new boat is that that I'm keyed up on the first day and coffee tends to upset the apple cart. I've puked on more occasions than I'd like to remember after drinking coffee on the first day. I usually straighten out after that. Good luck, also be sure you have a good set of foul weather gear, and warm clothes, the water offshore doesn't warm up much until August.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook