SailNet Community - View Single Post - Affordable GPS-EPIRB w/10 Year Battery Life
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Affordable GPS-EPIRB w/10 Year Battery Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
I'm not sure I'd rely on an EPIRB not FCC approved with no US support.
All things considered, the last thing I'd be concerned about with respect to Australian or New Zealand built and approved equipment is some arbitrary US certification. What, do you think that when an Aussie or NZ yacht crosses the 12 mile limit from the US, their Oz/Nz electronics suddenly stop functioning? Or that the visitors should "up-grade" to US gear?

The more salient issues are, firstly, the fact that the Sail World article did not make it clear that the equipment was not yet being made available in the US; and, secondly, that given the foregoing, between shipping costs and import duties, the price of the gear will likely be pushed up to that of competing US products (which are, incidentally, reportedly built in Singapore). Given that, we can just as easily buy a 3rd ACR GPIRB as a ditch-bag back up but at a sacrifice of some savings.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook