View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Healthcare Directive/Surrogate Documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
HyLyte, your daughter is 19.

Isn't she considered an adult at age 18? So that she would have to be the party signing the documents?

I don't know how the BVI consider that gray area between 18-21 but would suggest she is also a signatory to the documents, just in case.

I'd also suggest making two sets of originals, keep the second at home in case the first set goes astray, is lost with her luggage in transit, etc.

Last time I checked, in Florida the TD Bank branches kept notaries on staff and available to the general public at no charge. A very generous policy since many banks won't even lot their notary touch papers that are not "bank business".
There seems to be a question as to what constitutes the legal age of majority in the BVI but local authorities seemed to hold to the 21 threshold which is deterministic with respect to the authority of a designated legal guardian, temporary or otherwise. That said, we intend to have her sign a health care surrogacy form in favor of her cousin's as well as providing her, and them, with an original designation/delegation of authority to act in our name, place and stead as guardian should it become necessary.

Having had to deal with this issue on behalf of another, non-related, minor visiting us from France, within the US, the forms required in by domestic health care providers are quite specific, including HIPPA forms, without which they will not/can not (legally) tell you anything at all nor accept any instruction. A simple letter would have been all but worthless.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook