SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Where does this go...?

2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Squidd 
#1 ·
Found it in the bowels of the boat...

I do remember taking it off the aft end of the boom, when I first got the boat, but didn't use it last season (couldn't find it)...

It either gives purchase to my outhaul (which is now 1:1 and not sure that's correct rigging) or... It adjusts my topping lift, where at present I have a 12" "jumper rope" from steel topping line to boom plate...??

See less See more
#3 ·
I think it was a boom-end topping lift/boom height adjustment.

Crappy line, lousy blocks.. probably not worth hanging on to.

#6 ·
How big is it? Hard to tell from the floor but looks too small for a vang.

#7 ·
Too short and small for boom vang, maybe only 14" clip to clip...1/4" line

Line can be replaced, blocks cleaned up, but is there any advantage to an "adjustable" topping lift compared to say a "set length" system as I have currently...?

#10 ·
Haddn't thought about that, but no hook at present and I'm 99% certain I took it off the aft end of boom...(not that it was in the correct position when I got there..?)

#12 ·
I'm thinking clean it up change the line and give it a try as topping lift adjuster...

A. wanted to be sure it didn't serve a better purpose somewhere else...

B. wasn't sure adjustability was neccessary in topping lift, but I'm not thrilled with detaching the TL when sail is up (secure to mast) and then having to return TL to boom to let sail down...so that should cover both issues...

#14 ·
B. wasn't sure adjustability was neccessary in topping lift, but I'm not thrilled with detaching the TL when sail is up (secure to mast) and then having to return TL to boom to let sail down...so that should cover both issues...
An adjustable TL allows you to ease it when hoisted, reducing leech chafe, and also allows you to tension the TL in very light air to support the weight of the boom, which will otherwise close the leech.

And, in the cockpit with the rum out you can raise the boom out of your way a bit more...

#17 ·
Final version...lost the fiddle block lighten up the whole rig and use as TL adjuster...

This way I still have the jam function on the lower block without the weight overhead of the fiddle block

#19 ·
I cross stiched and whipped the loop with whipping twine, normally I would have a piece of shrink wrap on there but grabbed tape cause I was "lazy"...

#21 ·
Why would you want to get it out of the way...?

Right now I have a fixed length lead with clip on the end of a steel TL line...I have to R&R it every time I raise or drop the sail, disconnect and move up to mast, bring it back and reconnect etc... PITA I think...

That's why I'm trying to come up with an adjustable one so I can leave it hook up all the time...

#23 ·
That's the goal, but the steel line coming down is a foot short of useable, so it needs some sort of extention to keep it on...

The fixed length leader I put on is a little short of your discription, hence the 2nd (3rd) try with adjustable...

This should also allow sail trim changes for light air and abilty to raise boom a foot higher at anchor...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.