SailNet Community - View Single Post - downwind sail for PSC31
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013

MarcHall is on a distinguished road
Re: downwind sail for PSC31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit_Elan View Post
Marc, I checked today and I do have a separate block for the spinnaker halyard. The next question will be whether to haul the asym up from the base of the mast (hinei'ni does not have a winch on the mast) or run the halyard aft to the cockpit. Either way, I have to run forward to douse, right?
So with the asym in an ATN sock there really is not requirement for a winch for the spin halyard. Easily hauled up by hand.

No matter what you do with running or not running lines back to the cockpit is the sail in an ATN sock you will have to go forward do deal with dousing the sail. If I am singlehandend the boat is usually being driven by either the autopilot or with the windvane so going forward is no issue. If you are going cruising without an autopilot you might want to reconsider. If you are going cruising singlehanded without an autopilot you want to reconsider.

On my next trip I am probably going to carry 2 5 gallon jerry jugs. Fill with diesel for long trips offshore. Use to refuel the boat the when in spots where I don't want to or can't put the boat next to the fuel dock and otherwise keep empty or possibly full of gasoline for the inflatable outboard.

Also looking into sailbags that can be clipped to the lifelines and left up on deck for most of th time while underway.

All of my nylon sails will likely be flown off of a roller furling unit rather then an ATN sock. Sail could then be deployed and retrieved while from the cockpit. Dropping the furled sail would be done from the foredeck as would swapping out the nylon sails.

Enjoy

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207.
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
www.enjoythedive.net
Welcome | Global Underwater Explorers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook