SailNet Community - View Single Post - Headed North...
Thread: Headed North...
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Headed North...

Tom,

I'll try to shoot some videos tomorrow and post them via YouTube.

So far much of the trip has been relatively easy, and the ocean passages were great. With the urging of Melissa, I opted to bypass Miami and all those bridges. She is definitely one of my heroes and without her assistance the trip would not have been nearly as much fun or as successful.

Got into the Gulf Stream right after leaving Miami, sailing speed went from 4.7 to 8.1 MPH shortly after entering the stream's westernmost edge. Unfortunately, the weather turned a bit nasty shortly after entering the inlet at Fort Lauderdale. NOAA was calling for 5 to 10 from the northeast, but the actual winds were much, much higher and from the northwest. Some gusts that night felt like they topped 45 or 50 MPH, and the temperature dropped like a stone. Thank goodness for that enclosure - it was a smart move and well worth the expense in the comfort it brings.

Mario and I were discussing the comfort aspect of cruising a few weeks ago. What he said made absolutely good sense. "The whole point about cruising is to get from place to place in comfort. Beating your brains out and freezing to death is not part of cruising - it's insanity." I couldn't agree more. I like my gas grill, hot showers, Temper-pedic foam mattress in the Vee Berth, TV, internet connection, cell phone communications, etc...

Most of all, I loved having the ability to entertain hundreds of folks in the Florida Keys and other places along the way. The Morgan 33 Out Island was spacious enough for me to carry the vast majority of my music gear in relative safety, and while it was a bit of a chore to get it on and off the boat at times, the rewards were well worth the effort.

Internet access can be a bit difficult along the ICW, but when I'm able to post, I'll be adding some photos, and hopefully some videos as well. No music, just the live stuff, uncensored, wind noise and sails flapping.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook