SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
according to the ratio calculators (which I don't particularly trust) the angle of vanishing stability on my boat is 183degrees (which means 177 degrees on the other side, in other words there is no point where the angle of stability vanishes).... if someone has an accurate calculator and/or can figure the AVS I would be glad to give all the specs of my boat. My boat likes to heel around 30degrees and performs very well at that heel. Because it is better ti find the limits of your boat rather than be shown them, I decided to have some fun...in 15kts of wind with main and 180 genny (800-900sqft combined) I sailed for 3 hours at a 40 degree heel, doing hull speed with cap rail under 3" of water. If a gust of wind were to push the boat over to 45 degrees it would immediately swing up into the wind. The base of my rudder is 5' down....the ideal size of the rudder is said to ne 15% of of the waterline length....as the original rig on my boat had a nasty weather helm the designer chose to make that 25%.

I would be curious what numbers you used to come to this conclusion.