SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips on Watch Standing
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips on Watch Standing

I'll add two things only to an excellent thread.

1:No peeing over the side when offshore. Provide a bucket or bottle(s) for the male crew. It's so easy when you're alone on watch to wander over to the side for quick relief, but many a sailor has gone overboard holding his.....

2: I'll second Outbound's mention of quietly monitoring your crew. I was quite surprised at how poorly an entire race boat crew did during a winter race I was on last year when we were all stricken with what we thought was mild seasickness or alcohol hangover and turned out to be just lack of adequate food and water due to austere conditions.

Personally I felt hungover and wondered if it was my first time ever being seasick. On land I felt no better, even after an hour in bed. It wasn't a hangover because it lasted well into the evening (even while abstaining from the evil drink!). However 20 minutes into dinner at home, I felt 100% normal again. Thinking that I was familiar with my body's signs from backpacking and other times of prolonged exertion with limited access to food, it turned out I didn't know all of my body's own signs. I learned something about myself that day.

I talked with the captain about it the next day and he was aware we weren't eating or drinking and that we weren't functioning well but didn't want to force us to eat and drink. He should have.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 03-08-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook