SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013

daviid is on a distinguished road
Re: Dehler 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I agree with you on that. It is not the chart table per se but that panel. The boat even has good holding points but you are right if someone holds itself on that panel it is going to break. But I guess that sailors are also responsible for a lot of nonsense regarding where they want navigation instruments on a sailboat. In fact today plotters are used mostly on coastal navigation and on coastal navigation it makes sense the plotter near the helmsman. The same with the VHF.

When doing offshore navigation, I mean crossing Oceans everybody uses a laptop for navigation and that is the only kind of navigation where you can be inside the boat for a considerable time. The use of computer is necessary not only to receive and decode Gribs as also to run routing programs.

99% of the boats are used mostly on coastal conditions, even if occasionally sail offshore and that has to be taken in account when designing a standard navigation set up (that eventually can be changed for the few that want a boat mostly for offshore use).

In fact that configuration, that is not only used on the Dehler but on most cruising boats makes no sense but clients still want to have a lot of instruments near the chart table, as if the boat was a ship and the boat was effectively sailed from that place.

Salona is one of the few performance cruisers that have as an option decently designed pods for instruments near the two wheels. They have done that at my request for the 38 I was going to buy. Well, I did not bought the boat but they have used them on the 35. I am not sure if that is a popular option. I guess that many still prefer to have the plotter inside.

Regards

Paulo
Hi Paulo and Erik

I have to say that if the Dehler 38 was gifted to me that I would be a very happy sailor. I love the design both interior and exterior.

What struck me as odd though was that there is no standard bowsprit on a performance cruiser - come on guys, get with the program!

Personally I like the folding down platform particularly when sailing with the family and their are kids involved. Also at an anchorage, it is simply the best. If you want to go racing, then you just remove it and leave it open. The Dufour 36 has this flexibility built into the design crossover concept which I personally think is the way forward.

Coming back to the Salona, I have to confess that like you Paulo, I think this is a company with a very smart strategy in a market in which it is very difficult to distinguish one cruiser from the next. I posted this on the Hanse forum the other day which talks about the Salona 35.

One brand which I have followed for some time and which I particularly like for many reasons is Salona. They seem to have a very clear strategy and have differentiated themselves in a market where it is increasingly difficult to distinguish one boat from the other. Their strategy seems to be

- employ a recognized NA and interior designer
- enter high profile regattas to get their brand out there and better known by winning them
- enter their boats in the prestigious European Yacht of the Year. Competition. The Salona 37 won this competition some years back
- target the performance cruiser segment of the market only. You can order a Salona that is race ready or performance cruiser ready. The difference is in the weight of the hull, carbon rig, deeper draught, better deckware, better sails etc etc
- they are happy to customize their boats to a degree for their customers. For example if you want a higher B/D ratio,then they will increase the weight of the keel - their hulls can handle it
- they use a stainless steel backbone that Hanse used to have in their H462 which takes the loads from the keel and the standing rigging
- adding layers of carbon fibre on areas of the hull for further strengthening
- they have waterproof front and rear sections to protect the boat against impact, including the area around the rudder stock
- their manufacturing process is so good that Sydney Yachts have just agreed a deal for Salona to manufacture them
- their interior joinery is considered by many to be a cut above
- they offer incredible value for money considering what you are getting. The new Salona 35 with twin wheels, recessed traveller in the cockpit retails for around Euro100,000

I would say that Hanse should be looking to re-introduce those competitive advantages that they had in the past. Like epoxy and the backbone. Otherwise they will be grouped in the AWB category and be competing on price.

Cheers

David
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook