SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips on Watch Standing
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips on Watch Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Med, it sounds like you had a touch of heatsickness or heat exhaustion, which are compounded by dehydration. I find it very easy to get hit by that in very humid weather, when it is not extremely hot but the humidity prevents sweating. That's also when the rehydration mix seems to work very nicely. Folks who have not had any formal preparation to be in hot places, often are unaware they need to keep an eye on their urine color, and if it is any darker than "pale", they probably need to hydrate. They can also do a finger pinch, pinch up a fold of skin on the back of a knuckle. If the skin stays "up" and doesn't go back down right away? That's dehydration, too. (Relative to their own "normal", not necessarily to each other.)
Probably not "heatsickness" in November while it was raining and blowing in the 20s up here. With wind chill it was well below freezing. We were all a bit too concerned with huddling in place and just didn't "feel" hungry or thirsty. Agreed about the signs of dehydration as well. For me, the low grade nausea made me think that eating or drinking would result in puking, which (honestly) I just didn't want to do in front of the other crew because I'd loose face as the liveabard guy who got seasick.

I should have just eaten, hydrated (you're right it would have been a great time for the oral rehydration salts) and if it came back up, then so be it. If it stayed back down, I would have been cured.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook